Friday, July 22, 2011

Captain America: The First Avenger

Steve Rogers, a scrawny sickly, little man desperately wants to join the United States Army.  He has tried to enlist multiple times under multiple aliases, each time being deemed 4F.  His commitment, dedication and enthusiasm however catches the eye of Dr. Abraham Erskine who is convinced that Steve Rogers is exactly what the US Army needs.

Well, I went and saw the midnight show amongst the dedicated comic book fans.  I once again was clueless as to what the original story of Captain America was and waited to be enlightened.

So here are my thoughts.... Although it was fun and entertaining, the villain wasn't threatening enough.  Ignorant me, I thought the villain was Hitler, that makes sense, he's scary.  But no, I was wrong.  It was this Red Skull guy.  Who looked kind of creepy but he nor his hench men ever seemed that big of a threat.

Also I get that to set up the story of Captain America we must go back to his origins, WWII, nevertheless, I suppose that because of the setting I was expecting something along the lines of Raiders of the Lost Ark.  A superhero designed to destroy the Nazi's a'la Indiana Jones.  You know, make this story exciting without the use of modern weapons and technology etc.  This is not the case, and perhaps if one is aware of that the movie is more enjoyable.

Once again, not as fun as Iron Man, but I found it more enjoyable than Thor.
(Side note: Stay till after the credits)


** 1/2 Fun Summer Flick


Rated PG-13 (for violence)

No comments: