Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Dark Knight


Now Batman is back and fighting crime off the streets of Gotham City in The Dark Knight, sequel to 2005's Batman Begins.  If you really want a plot summary, see Mandy's review below.

Now on to my thoughts.  This is different from any other comic book movie adaptation we've seen before, it's basically a crime epic using comic book characters.  The film is very dark, complicated and realistic, like Batman Begins, but it takes it to a whole other level.  I really liked the movie, amazing acting, story, direction, special fx, everything is very well done.  Although I do agree with Mandy that it is too long and in a couple tiny parts I lost interest as well, but I think my overall excitement for seeing this movie overcame them.  I do however disagree with Mandy about Batman's voice.  He's trying to hide his identity and intimidate criminals, so he has to change his voice, I think it works well.

Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker, in my mind, is one of the best villains I have ever seen in a movie.  He is so creepy, unpredictable, funny and scary that you're excited every time he's on the screen.  Speaking of screens, this film MUST be seen on an IMAX screen.  The scope and resolution for the 6 scenes that were actually filmed with IMAX film are phenomenal.

There's great action and suspense, at times the action feels a little too spread apart, but the intensity of the film and acting keeps you interested in the story, although the ending is a little drawn out.  Overall I really liked it and highly recommend it, but at the same time I feel like it's almost too much for a comic book inspired movie.  I don't know, almost too realistic maybe, like I said it's basically a crime epic, almost Godfather-like.  At times I kind of wanted a little more of the fun of say, Tim Burton's 1989 Batman.  But it truly is an awesome version of the Batman story.

***1/2 out of 4 - Must see (and Heath Ledger's performance just may be Oscar-worthy)

3 comments:

Amanda Jayne Dibb said...

Good call on the lack of "fun" or Tim Burtonesque feel to the film...you do kind of miss that in this one.

Keepin it real said...

Just an idea...you should list how much each movie makes opening night/weekend.

Hillary Corpuz said...

Very good, I debated on seeing this in the Theatre, but you have inspired me to do so.