Monday, June 22, 2015

Jurassic World

The park is open, and has been successfully entertaining guests with genetically engineered dinosaurs for the past 22 years.  But corporate wants more; more money, more teeth.  Genetics have advanced and more comes in the form of a new genetically modified hybrid dinosaur, that is bigger, faster, stronger and has more teeth...what could possibly go wrong?

The original Jurassic Park is my favorite film of all time.  I credit it as my main inspiration for becoming an animator.  The subsequent sequels are two of my most despised movies of all time.  So, I approached Jurassic World with ridiculous levels of excitement and a healthy dose of trepidation.

So, after viewing Jurassic World, the first thought that comes to mind is fun.  The original it is not, but this is a very entertaining movie.  It doesn't quite capture the awe and wonder that the original did, but it couldn't, and it plays on that in a fun way that makes sense; we've been wowed, now give us more.  There's a certain level of camp and cheese that works well, for the most part.  The action and pacing is quick and well constructed.  The climax is quite epic (I may have fist pumped/cheered).  I actually saw this twice on opening weekend and both showings inspired a loud round of applause when the credits rolled, pretty fun, I haven't seen that in quite some time.  I have my complaints about some of the dinosaurs that only a dinosaur nerd like myself would care about (where are the feathers on T-Rex and the raptors!?), but I'll spare you my ramblings, and actually most of my complaints are explained away with a simple line from Dr. Wu while he's arguing with the park owner.  See, I've already started to ramble.  Fine summer fun and a worthy sequel to Jurassic Park.

*** out of 4: Must See

Official Site (very fun site, made as if it's the site for a real park): http://www.jurassicworld.com/



No comments: