Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The Monuments Men


In the middle of World War II a small platoon sets out to rescue stolen Art from the Nazi’s and return them to their proper owners.


Again I didn’t read this book and though I am sure it was very good the movie fell a tad short. It is set up to be kind of an Ocean’s 11 meets Inglorious Bastards but it never really pulled it off. The characters are funny, the story is true and I suppose inspiring, but the movie itself was totally Disneyfied. There is never a real sense of threat or urgency even in the most dramatic of scenes. For some reason I felt as though I was watching Mary Poppins and kept waiting for someone to break into song or fly away with an umbrella. The story seems rushed and the characters somewhat cookie cutteresque, which all contributes to the severe absence of drama. Kids will like it I am sure as, despite its violent setting and the subsequent deaths it is a little too sweet.

** Rentable

Rated PG-13 (for wartime violence)

2 comments:

Clem&Anne said...

I love you Mandy. Now go kick your little brother in the britches and get him posting again

Amanda Jayne Dibb said...

I will see what I can do ;)