Monday, December 1, 2008

Australia

The epic story of an English woman who during the beginning of WWII, travels to Australia to defend her husbands land and cattle from being stolen with the help of an Outback cattle driver called "The Drover", while dealing with Japan's attack on Australia.

Mandy told me this movie is terrible so going in my expectations were as low as could be, so of course I didn't think it was that bad.  The movie tries to be epic, and it is in certain aspects, like it's look, although some special fx scenes look just like fx shots and don't match the rest of the movie's look.  It's also epic in it's length, it's way too long at about 2 hours and 50 minutes, but again Mandy told me it was way too long before I saw it so I was prepared for the length and didn't mind it that much.  The story is kind of weak, very predictable and has too many distractions,  it seems like the Aussie director, who also directed Moulan Rouge, just wanted an excuse to direct a movie about Australia with Australian movie stars.  It's not the most inspiring or "epic" story, but it at least kept my interest enough not to hate it.  Maybe worth a renting if you really want to see it, otherwise you'll be alright passing on this one.

**1/2 out of 4 (Rated PG-13 for violence, language (one F-bomb), and sex)


1 comment:

Emily said...

Thanks Matt..I will catch it on cable someday.