Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Hunger Games

A young girl volunteers as a tribute to represent her district in a fight to the death reality television program that is sponsored and forced upon the people by the reigning government.

OK so I think I may be one of four people on the planet that didn't read this book, so I am reviewing this purely as a movie goer....

I went to the mid-night screening in LA -- the Director, Gary Ross, and the young cast members, Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, and Alexander Ludwig were all there, along with most of the production crew.  It was fun to be amongst the excited and over eager crowd.

Again as a non-reader, I was pleasantly surprised and delightfully engaged by the story, although at the same time horrifically disturbed at the concept in general.  The acting was great and I particularly liked Woody Harrelson, who I heard was a disappointing casting choice by the readers, but I thought he was great.  As I had zero expectations, I suppose I am less critical of the story, not knowing what was left out. Nevertheless, as a film, it worked well and was entertaining.

*** Must See (especially for the pop-culture followers)


Rated PG-13 (for language and violence)

No comments: