Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Artist

A movie stars marketability is threatened when sound is introduced to film in the late 1920's. As his star fades a new one is found in the young actress that he has fallen for.

Like A Star is Born meets Singing in the Rain -- all without sound, this movie was kind of like watching a Tom and Jerry cartoon.  Interesting in the beginning the story drags on a tad long. However they do a magnificent job of developing character without the help of dialogue.

This was interesting and I am glad I saw it, I can't say that I would ever want to sit through it again. I am somewhat surprised it was nominated for Oscars as it is a bit cliche, reverting back to black and white, no sound, and title cards.  As Hollywood seems to have moved past this, I would assume audiences have as well.

** Rentable


Rated PG-13 (for a suicide attempt)

No comments: