Saturday, August 14, 2010

Eat. Pray. Love.

Liz finds her world is crumbling around her.  In an effort to make a serious change and truly find herself she decides to take a year off and spend her time in Italy, India, and Bali.

I did not read this book, nor did I watch the Oprah episode praising the author for how wonderful it was.  My girlfriends all read the book and anxiously accompanied me to the screening.  I, however, only knew the above given synopsis and went in hoping it would be better than a travel log.

Yeah, so, not my favorite flick.  This movie was two hours and forty minutes of self indulgent pity.  Now,  I should pause here to point out that I not only understand being selfish, but feel as though I have achieved a proficient dexterity at being completely shallow and self absorbed.  Having said that, I still did not relate to the main character.

She sets out on this journey to find herself,  but really is still looking to others to define who she is.  Her world is opulent and for many unattainable, yet she never reaches outside of that world to really appreciate what she has.  I found her irritating, annoying, and extremely frustrating.  I didn't appreciate whatever enlightenment she claimed to have found by the time the whole story wrapped up and was just grateful it was over.

** I suppose one could rent it

Rated PG-13 (for language)

1 comment:

Libby said...

Mand-
Just wanted to let you know that I love your reviews. I find them very entertaining and I don't think that you are selfish at all! Keep up the good work.