Thursday, November 27, 2008

Australia

A British aristocrat travels to Australia to save her marriage and sell their cattle ranch. After a rough introduction to the country opens her eyes to what her husband was trying to accomplish she agrees to stay and help save the ranch from the local bullies, no pun intended.

OK so that is a broad brush at trying to describe this movie. The fact of the matter is, that I have already blocked out most of it. I went and saw this at 9:30 PM, by 10:30 I was starring at my watch in unbelief--I still had two more hours to go and lost interest 40 minutes ago! How do I attempt to explain this....I went and saw it because I loved Moulin Rouge and Romeo+Juliet both of which were directed by Baz Luhrmann and thought that this too would be fun and worth seeing. Tst tst tst. As luck would have it, that was not the case.

Granted I went in with high expectations, thinking it would be some sort of romanticized historical drama about how Australia came to be. You know kind of a Titanic meets Braveheart sort of a deal. No, this was more like City Slickers meets The Wizard of Oz --I know, it just doesn't sit right, does it? The story is weak and the plot is muddled. I'm not sure the actors themselves really knew what the main focus of the story was. Oh yeah did I mention that it was way too long?

*1/2 Barely Rentable

Rated PG-13 (again I blocked most of it out, violence maybe?)

No comments: