Sunday, June 20, 2010

Toy Story 3

Andy is grown up and heading off to college. As he's cleaning out his room, his ever-faithful toys led by Woody and Buzz are accidentally donated to Sunnyside Day Care Center, which appears to be toy heaven, until their roll as new recruits is revealed. Woody leads their great escape from day care and their journey back to Andy.

Pixar goes 11 for 11, quite the batting %. I don't think that theirs a trilogy that delivers so well in each movie as the Toy Story trilogy. Maybe The Godfather trilogy? Maybe the original Star Wars trilogy? Lord of the Rings? Although some have issues with the 3rd and final chapter in those trilogies. In this case Toy Story 3 delivers just as well if not better than its predecessors. Of course the technology has advanced and the film just looks better, the animation is better, etc. But the story is so much fun and so well crafted, it's arguable that this is the best movie of the trilogy (however I might call part 2 the best, I'd have to see 3 again to confirm). The opening sequence is a great homage to the opening of the original Toy Story. The middle of the film is as good as any prison-break movie around. But the ending is where this movie really nails it. It is in my opinion the perfect ending to this trilogy, and had me on the verge of tears...yes, toys almost had me in tears. It's what sets Pixar apart; the heart they put into their movies. The old characters are just as lovable as before and the new ones are fun and engaging. Well done Pixar, very well done.

(As always there's a very well done Pixar animated short that plays before the film. It's called Night and Day, a very different short that is an interesting mix of 2D and 3D animation.)

**** out of 4 - Oscar Worthy (Rated G)

2 comments:

Emily said...

Well said Matt. I was wondering what you thought about the short at the beginning but I forgot to ask you after the movie. I loved this movie too!

Dibbers said...

I thought this one was great. The ending was awesome. But I would have to go with 2 as the best of the 3. I still have not seen the short. We have seen it twice but have walked in late both times.