Sunday, October 11, 2009

Couples Retreat


Four couples head off to an exclusive resort designed to bring couples closer together. While one of the couples is there to work on their marriage, the others are there for the sun, sand, and fun, only to find out the therapy part of the package is not optional.

I went into this movie with very low expectations. I figured that I had seen all of the funny parts in the commercial spots and that the rest was just going to be crude and crass filler. I was somewhat surprised that it wasn’t and that I found myself laughing throughout most of the movie. Granted in general this flick was totally forgettable but I have to admit that I was shocked that it was so much better than I had anticipated.

This was Peter Billingsley’s directorial debut—for those of you who don’t know who that is, he was “Ralph” in A Christmas Story. He does a fairly decent job. The actors, all of whom are very funny, play their typical character. Nothing new there. Most of the jokes are predictable but the dialogue, in true Vince Vaughn fashion, was fast, funny and frantic.

Nothing to run out and see but totally fun video pick.

** ½ Rentable

Rated PG-13 (for sexual content and language)

No comments: